Thursday, October 25, 2012


FAVORITISM AT THE WORKPLACE

Does favoritism help an organisation to grow
Working in a media house scenario, where one  gets to be in the good books of the Station Manager;  only after having an  affair with the boss: I will admit is difficult to survive in. 
Being in his good books mean: being on TV, getting tickets for all events, being considered and assigned the choicest responsibilities at all times. Such is the situation, I found myself in. For a fact, it was hard, especially coming from a background where I so much yearned to be a TV Presenter and a News Caster.  I was left with the choice of toeing this line of giving up on my dream.  Am sure you are eager to find out what happened; then get ready to learn how the fittest can survive.

Many would agree with me that working in an environment where a selected few are favoured is not the best. It breeds resentment, anger, jealousy and could even lead to conflicts. Favouritism in the   workplace means preferential treatment to one or more employees. The act of favouritism could be carried out through nepotism, cronyism, sexual favours and patronage. These treatment could be intentional or subconscious, but whichever one it could be, it is always best to think of how such actions might affect other employees in the office.

In my scenario, I felt resentment towards the favoured one; I had to accept that technically “she was the untouchable and the one who caught the eyes of my boss. But as human as I was, I also earned to  have that  attention until  that  day : as they say ‘Muhammad walked to the  mountain’ and  I  heard the  words “What do you think about the two of us; as an item”?  Stunned to hear, I just smiled and then I heard a voice remind me of the opportunity I had being longing for. Many days passed and the question was mostly hammered into my ears every day. After careful thought; I asked myself :  what happens if I am favoured and would this favour follow me,  if I should find myself elsewhere? Hmm, in my subconscious mind, I yearned and fantasized over the feeling of gaining favour in the eyes of my boss but eventually, I took that decision to say no.


As  I  scribble this through my experience I ask “how  does  one keep  their career  humming along, while being stuck in  the shadow  of the boss’s pet?
It is no gain saying fact that most people have seen or perhaps been on the wrong end of blatant favouritism at some point in their careers. So how does one deal with favouritism at work?
How does it feel being favored at work?
It’s your choice to decide to be professional and polished and caring this out – you try not to point out his or her faults to your boss at meetings. You could also sit with your Boss to get a clear definition of your job. In that meeting you could also agree on set targets you have to meet by the end of a particular month.

Researchers also suggest that you could point out this favouritism act to a superior boss, but would that help? One could also join corporate committees or other groups at work. By this, you would be learning your experience to colleagues in other departments. This I believe will help boost your confidence and credibility. Also one could deal with this act by becoming buddies with the boss. This can be achieved by getting interested in his likes, so that you always have something to talk about with your boss and also inviting him for lunch - that might lead to disaster!

As they say, there should always be a way out of every situation, hence your other alternative will be to look at the brighter side of things; polish up your resume and start looking for a new job, but if you decide to sit tight and buy time, you must know that your career progress could slow down, especially during this manager’s tenure.
Whichever way, learn to look at the brighter side of things; it could bring new opportunities with a better boss. If you are lucky and your boss is reshuffled, then those favourites get back on equal footing with everyone else. If they can’t settle in and thrive on their merits, they either have the option to follow their benefactor yet again or move on in some other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment